‘La Patrona’ – the Patron, is a week of celebrations takes place throughout July / August. The main event is on 2nd August with a mock battle between Moors and Christians to commemorate the fight by the people of Pollensa against 1,500 Moors led by the nasty pirate Dragut that took place on May the 30th, 1550. On that day Pollensa received the most severe pirate attack in their history. The battle was won due to the help from the now local hero Joan Mas, who went out into the town’s main street to warn every one of the danger and ran heroically into battle against his adversaries. This now famous mock battle was incorporated into the holiday programme in the middle of the 19th Century to recreate a historical fact that is very much in the heart of the people of Pollensa. This created a very colourful, lively and epic celebration that counts on the participation of the whole town, the Christians dressed in white and Dragut’s followers in multi colours.
This is a sacred event and so don’t expect the town to be operating to it’s best during this time. Expect shops and bars to be closed around that week, recovering from all the partying
Wed, Aug 1, 2018
- La Patrona Children’s Show Parade and the Big Party.
- 7.00pm, A show, Tipi Tipi Top, for the little ones at the Plaza Vella (there will be ice cream).
- 8.00pm, Parade by the Tropa del Solda and the Municipal Band along the streets of the town.
- 11.00pm, Mitica Revetlla at the Plaza Major on until early hours when the band will take the party along the memorial parade, the Alborada at 5 am.
Thursday, August 2, 2018
La Patrona The Alborada
- 5.00am, the sombre and emotionally stirring Alborada will be performed by the band along various streets in Pollensa, Cala Sant Vicenc and Puerto Pollensa, finishing at the Seniors Residential Home.
- 11.00am: The Cossiers dance in the Church and at 12.15 in the Plaza Major
- 12.45pm: the institutional act is followed by an aperitif for all on the patio of the Town Hall
- 5.00pm: parade from the Tropa del Solda and the arrival of the Moros into the Plaza Major
- 5.30pm: procession with the image of la patrona.
- 7.00pm: The Mock Battle begins at the Plaça Almoina
- 9.30pm: the Tedeum at the main Church, followed by the Alborada and a stirring rendition of Visca Pollensa in the Plaça Major
- 11.00pm: fireworks at the Vinyeta del Pont Roma